FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
29th May, 2009
Cyber IT Solutions, Australia’s leading Linux and Open Source solutions company, completed a successful deployment of Cyber IT Solutions PrisonPC at the new Alexander Maconochie Centre correctional facility in the Australian Captital Territory last month. Cyber IT Solutions PrisonPC is a purpose-built platform, encompassing restricted web and email access, secure desktop hardware, and central software distribution.
"PrisonPC was selected by the ACT Correctional facility because of its unparalleled combination of physical and software security attributes," said Ron Fabre, PrisonPC product manager at Cyber IT Solutions.
"Correctional facilities have known for a long time that computers are an excellent tool for prisoner rehabilitation and therefore in the reduction of recidivism. PrisonPC provides an optimal platform for education, offering the delivery of training through video tuition and business desktop applications. Cyber IT Solutions PrisonPC helps prisoners improve their chances in the real world".
The cost to the state of individual inmates is typically close to a million dollars over the average incarceration of three years. Reducing recidivism by just one inmate equates to a huge cost saving to the state.
"... and perhaps more imporantly, through the training and life education facilities offered through the Cyber IT Solutions PrisonPC, inmates are offered the opportunity to improve their life outcomes."
The key attributes of the PrisonPC implementation at the ACT Correctional facility are:
- Completely locked-down system, where prisoners and malware (virus, trojan, keylogger) can not effect any change to the system.
- Secure email - selected prisoners are provided email access. All incoming and outgoing email is subjected to strict filtering and quarantining.
- Restricted web access - prisoners can browse a limited list of approved websites. This assists them in gaining employment, and in online courses.
- Transparent desktop cases - these dramatically minimise the ability for contraband to be hidden inside, allowing custodial staff to vet an entire computer in only a few seconds.
- Central system management - all software is centrally managed and distributed to each desktop when it is switched on.
"Cyber IT Solutions PrisonPC delivers previously unavailable security and capabilities, and is the unique, world-leading computing solution for high-security facilities. It demonstrates what can be achieved by innovative firms utilising best-of-breed Linux and open source technologies and modern computing hardware to solve real-world problems and benefit society," continued Fabre.
For further information please visit us on: http://www.prisonpc.com/